About the Institute
Dr.RM.Alagappa Chettiar, a man of rare wisdom, and forethought, founded Alagappa Chettiar Educational Trust with the sole aim of developing the backward area of Karaikudi into a centre for higher education.
In 1952, Dr. Alagappa Chettiar’s dream came true. Alagappa Chettiar College of Engineering and Technology started functioning from 21st July 1952 with three faculties – Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering. The Foundation tablet for the main building of the college was laid by Dr.Rajendra Prasad, the then President of India on 19th February 1953.
The institution was handed over to Government of TamilNadu in the year 1966, since then institution has been administered by the Government through Directorate of Technical Education.
In 1969, faculty of Electronics and Communication Engineering was started. Further Part-time Courses in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical & Electronics Engineering were introduced in 1971. To keep pace with the technical advancements and to meet the requirements of industries from 2001, B.E.
Degree course in Computer Science and Engineering is also being offered. Six PG Degree courses are offered from the academic year 2002-03 in addition to the Parttime B.E. Course in Electronics & Communication Engineering.
Now the institution offers 5 U.G and 6 P.G Programmes to cater the need of students. It also offered 4 Part-time Programmes.